• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

salal leaves -- can i make a tea/tincture?

voxmystic

Bluelighter
i heard that salal leaves were traditionally eaten by north american natives as an anorectic. the leaves are tough and leathery, though, and hard to chew/swallow. would a tea work? or an alcohol extract? even some hot water to soften the leaves would help. will heat distroy the active compounds? i've found next to nothing about this on the 'net. any input from people who are experienced with herbs will be appreciated.

vox,
I live on Salal lane in the brush above my town . Mushrooms, blackberries, huckleberries, salmon berriess, etc. and enough salal brush to fill a hand in a few minute's time .
There are enough 'herbalists' around to fill a small stadium but no one, not one, not anyone has ever propounded a use for salal brush . Their nasty tasting deep purple berries are the stuff that makes for instant spitting out at great velocity .
I am familiar with a few indigenous amerindians and have not ever heard salal to have medicinal properties although I am not saying that it has been a topic of conversation .
If i would guess, I would offer to the contrary and would be inclined to say it would jack up your digestion to the point of NOT eating until your gizzard got settled once again after a 'tea'